You can be employed by Barkuma Commercial Services as a ‘supported employee’. This type of employment support is NDIS funded. Working in this environment is a great way to develop your skills, confidence and experience, and meet like-minded people. You will receive a wage, have set hours of work, leave entitlements, superannuation and other benefits.
WHAT IS BARKUMA COMMERCIAL SERVICES?
Barkuma Commercial Services is an Australian Disability Enterprise (ADE), a not-for-profit organisation which provides meaningful employment for people with disability. Barkuma Commercial Services provides employment through assembly, packaging, labelling, shredding and document destruction as well as other enterprises such as gardening and cleaning services.
‘Supported’ means that there are specially trained and qualified supervisors who provide support to employees to complete tasks and understand the responsibilities and rights at work. Barkuma also employs ‘Peer Supervisors’ who are other supported employees undergoing training and professional development to provide additional support to their peers.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM WORKING FOR BARKUMA COMMERCIAL SERVICES?
LOOKING FOR WORK
- Come on a tour of the factory
- Chat about how you are paid, and how many days you want to work
- Do work experience in the factory, learn about different roles
- What are you good at, and what support and training do you need?
STARTING YOUR JOB
- You will be given a role based on your skills and interests
- We will set goals with you
- You will learn how to be safe at work
- You will have a buddy to help show you the role
KEEPING YOUR JOB
- You will have daily support to help you do your job the best you can
- You will learn about money and your rights
- Learn about communication and teamwork
- Learn about expectations of having a job
- We support you to develop skills and increase earning capacity
GROWING YOUR CAREER
- This job doesn’t have to be your forever job
- We will regularly review your goals and progress
- You will be supported to develop skills to move into open employment
- We will support you to achieve your career goals
To work in our Commercial Services sites you must:
- Be 17 years or older
- Have a developmental or intellectual disability
- Have a current NDIS plan with ‘Employment’ as a goal
- Able to work a minimum of 15 hours per week or up to 71.25 hours per fortnight
- Be an Australian Resident
- Undergo a National Police Clearance
- Willing to accept & work within Barkuma’s Australian Disability Enterprise support model
Contact the Engagement Team on 8414 7100
“It’s more than just a job, you develop skills and learn new things. If it wasn’t for Barkuma I wouldn’t be where I am today.”