Barkuma is a vibrant and exciting place to work. Imagine every day waking up and contributing in a positive way to the community. Work alongside people with disability to find rewarding jobs, learn new skills, explore their talents, and be included in the community.
Expression of Interest - General
We are always looking to expand our team of experienced and skilled workers to work across all functions and departments of our organisation.
To express your interest Click here to apply.
Informal enquiries may be directed to our HR Team on 8414 7100.
Disability Support Workers
- Work for a values based organisation within the growing disability sector
- Salary packaging up to $18,550 per year tax free plus other great benefits
- 5 weeks annual leave per annum
Barkuma Incorporated is a leading not-for-profit South Australian organisation which offers multi-dimensional services for people with a diagnosed developmental disability ranging from intellectual, Down syndrome, learning disabilities and autism spectrum disorder.
For over 50 years, we have worked alongside people with a disability to find rewarding jobs, learn new skills and explore new talents. Barkuma provides individualised support through quality service delivery and advocacy to promote independent, inclusive and healthy lifestyles, enabling people to be active members of the community.
If you want to work in the disability sector, Barkuma is the organisation to work with.
About You and the Role
We support customers in a 24/7 environment in their own homes. These home environments are generally owned by Barkuma or other housing providers.
We offer permanent positions on a part-time basis on a rotating roster. This means you always know what shift you are on at any given time and which days you consistently have off.
Shifts include morning/day shift and afternoon/evening overnight passive or active shifts. You can also pick up additional shifts if you wish.
This role is not just based in the home. As part of the Accommodation and Respite team you will provide individualised person centred support to customers with a cognitive or physical disability and their families, enabling our clients to live as independently as possible both in their home and actively in the community with your support.
To gain an interview you will require:
- Motor vehicle that is registered, comprehensively insured with a valid driver’s licence
- First aid
- Medication training
- DHS Disability Services clearance
- Manual handing (desirable)
- Certificate 3 in Individualised Support (Disability) or equivalent (or willingness to study)
- Disability experience is preferred (either through previous student placement or current/previous employment or personal experience)
Imagine waking up and contributing in a positive way to the community with an organisation that truly cares.
Barkuma does take the responsibility to protect vulnerable adults very seriously and all candidates recruited to work in those areas are required to sign off on and work within the code of conduct and ensure their security clearances are continually updated to ensure the ability to work with our clients.
Enquiries about being a Disability Support Worker to those vulnerable adults with an intellectual disability may be directed to Yvette Stewart, Human Resources Manager ph. 8414 7100.
To find out more about Barkuma visit us at:
With respect, no recruitment agencies please. Barkuma welcomes student placements from suitable training providers in South Australia. Applicants must have work rights for Australia. Barkuma is an equal opportunity employer.
To express your interest Click here to apply
Student and Volunteer Placements
Throughout the year Barkuma offer student placements.
Placements are available for students who have completed a Certificate III and IV in Individual Support and University Students – undergraduate and postgraduate.
To be considered for a student placement please click here for University Students or click here for those studying a Certificate III or IV qualification. Please send your resume with the following information:
- Contact details (full name, mobile, email)
- Name of Training Institution / Name of University
- Your course of study and current year of study
- Why you you’d like to do your placement with Barkuma
- Requested placement dates and number of hours required
Also remember to include:
- A current resume
- Confirmation of current DHS Disability Services Clearance with date of clearance
- Certificate of Insurance from training provider
- Senior First Aid Certificate
- Medication training (desirable)
We check these regularly and if we have a suitable placement, we will contact you.
Volunteering at Barkuma
Barkuma greatly values the contributions of our team of volunteers that work across our sites. Volunteers generously donate their time, energy and expertise to help us deliver our programs.
To be considered for a volunteering role please click here to send the following information
- Your contact details (full name, mobile, email)
- Current CV and why you would like to volunteer with Barkuma
- Information on your availability including days and times you're available
- Current DCSI Clearance Certificate
We check these regularly and if we have a suitable volunteer position, we will contact you.
Informal enquiries may be directed to Human Resources on 8414 7100.