THE TRANSITION PROGRAM
Barkuma’s Transition program is a 12 month program designed to assist final year students with disability and learning difficulties to make the smooth transition from school to future pathways. Through structured learning, skill development, accredited training and work placement opportunities, you are offered ongoing support to find and keep a job. Although Government funding for this program ceased in 2019, Barkuma continues to self-fund this program to offer another transition choice to schools and students, and continue the positive outcomes.
WHAT TO EXPECT
TERM 1 & 2
EXPLORING FUTURE PATHWAYS
- 1 day per week
- Career Development activities and Practical Employment Skills building.
- Certificate 1 in Access to Vocational Pathways
- Mock interviews, resume writing and career counselling.
TERM 3 & 4
VOCATIONAL EDUCATIONAL TRAINING (VET)
- Accredited industry training through TafeSA and private RTOs such as:
- Hair and Beauty
WORK EXPERIENCE AND GRADUATION
- Supported by Barkuma Employment Services
- One week of work experience
- Celebrate achievements and receive certificates at the formal Graduation ceremony.
Through a combination of accredited training, career guidance and specialised support, you will work towards a nationally recognised vocational qualification and gain credit towards your SACE.
You are supported to transition to one of Barkuma’s Employment Pathways. This includes School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES) and Disability Employment Services (DES) who will provide assistance beyond school to prepare for and seek employment.
The Transition Program supports you and your family through a challenging life phase and ensures that you have the best possible chance for the future.
To be eligible for this program you must:
- Have a permanent disability or learning difficulty
- Be aged 16 years or older
- Have the capacity and desire to work for a minimum of 8 hours per week post school
- Be willing to access transport independently
- Ready to start transitioning out of the school environment into future pathways.
Expressions of Interest are received in term 3 with interviews conducted in term 4.
Contact the Transition Program on 8414 7100
“When I thought about the future I had very mixed feelings, most of it was scared and feeling anxious with a little bit of excitement. I was one of those students who thought school wasn’t for me and I wasn’t even going to complete year 12. Being involved with Barkuma has helped me change my view about my future. I don’t feel anxious and stressed, I’m still a bit unsure but I know I have support around me.”