THE TRANSITION PROGRAM
Barkuma’s Transition program is a 12 month program designed to assist final year students with disability and learning difficulties to make the smooth transition from school to future pathways. Through structured learning, skill development, accredited training and work placement opportunities, you are offered ongoing support to find and keep a job. Although Government funding for this program ceased in 2019, Barkuma continues to self-fund this program to offer another transition choice to schools and students, and continue the positive outcomes.
WHAT TO EXPECT
TERMS 1 & 2
EXPLORING FUTURE PATHWAYS
- 1 day a week
- Career development activities and practical employment skills
- Certificate 1 in Skills for Vocational Pathways
- Mock interviews, resumé writing and career counselling
- Worksite visits, and hear from great speakers
TERMS 3 & 4
VOCATIONAL EDUCATIONAL TRAINING (VET)
- Accredited Vocational Education Training (VET), through TafeSA and private registered training providers. Options may include:
- Hair and Beauty
WORK EXPERIENCE AND GRADUATION
- 1 week of work experience, supported by a Barkuma service
- Graduation and celebration ceremony
Through a combination of accredited training, career guidance and specialised support, you will work towards a nationally recognised vocational qualification and gain credit towards your SACE.
You are supported to transition to one of Barkuma’s Employment Pathways. This includes School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES) and Disability Employment Services (DES) who will provide assistance beyond school to prepare for and seek employment.
The Transition Program supports you and your family through a challenging life phase and ensures that you have the best possible chance for the future.
To be eligible you need to…
- Have a developmental disability
- Be 16 years or order
- Have the capacity and desire to work in open employment in the future
- Be willing to access transport independently
To find out more, contact the Transition Program Team on 8414 7100
Expressions of Interest are open NOW. Complete this FORM to register.
Hear from three graduates how Barkuma’s Transition Program gave them direction, confidence, connection and pathways to employment
“When I thought about the future I had very mixed feelings, most of it was scared and feeling anxious with a little bit of excitement. I was one of those students who thought school wasn’t for me and I wasn’t even going to complete year 12. Being involved with Barkuma has helped me change my view about my future. I don’t feel anxious and stressed, I’m still a bit unsure but I know I have support around me.” – Transition Program Graduate