SCHOOL LEAVER EMPLOYMENT SUPPORTS (SLES)
Our School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES) is designed to help young people explore and understand their work potential. At Barkuma, we use a person-centred approach to support you to develop the necessary skills, independence and confidence to find and keep a job. You can start at any time during the year, and finish when you are ready for work.
Your Barkuma case manager will work with you and your family to create individualised supports to help you transition from school to work, around your goals. Some people may achieve their goals within a few months, while others take longer.
WHAT TO EXPECT
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
- What are you interested in, what you like to do, what are your skills
- Explore and understand your work potential
- A focus on developing skills, independence and confidence to work.
- Including; communication, transport training, money handling, personal hygiene, presentation, workplace norms, behaviours and expectations, understanding rights and responsibilities in the workplace, teamwork.
- Group sessions, online and one on one.
- To make sure the supports are meeting your goals, including skills assessments.
READY FOR WORK
- When you are ready, we’ll help you find work experience and look for the right job for you.
- Further education or training
- Employment in an apprenticeship or traineeship
- Independent job seeking
- Community participation
- Employment supported by a Disability Employment Service (DES)
- Ongoing supports in an Australian Disability Enterprises (ADEs)
- Have an NDIS plan
- Include SLES and a goal to work in NDIS plan
- Be in your final year of school or recently left school.
Contact the Engagement Team on 8414 7100
“When I first thought about SLES, I was a little bit nervous, my Case Manager helped me to feel comfortable. I have learnt about different types of jobs and was successful in getting my White Card and Forklift Licence. I now feel better prepared for work”