Supported Employment means you are employed in a Barkuma owned business (Australian Disability Enterpise). This type of employment support is NDIS funded. Working in this environment is a great way to develop your skills, confidence and experience, all while earning a wage.Enquire now
How do I access this support?
To qualify for supported employment at Barkuma you must be:
- Be 16 years old
- Have an intellectual disability
- Be willing to undertake an unpaid work experience placement
- Be eligible for a Disability Support Pension (DSP)
- Have a current NDIS plan with ‘Finding & Keeping a Job’ as a goal of employment
- Be seeking full-time employment
- Meet assessment requirements.
At our business you will receive wages, have set hours of work, leave entitlements, superannuation and other benefits. You will have a job description and participate in an annual appraisal process.
- Friendly and supportive
- Clear and frequent direction
- Smaller work groups
- Tasks to suit individuals
- Comprehensive and ongoing training
- Liasion with families and carers.
We have two locations, one at Elizabeth and one at Holden Hill.
If you haven’t worked in a supported environment before we can offer work experience. This can help you adjust to working life and decide if supported employment is right for you.
Training and Development
We offer a range of training opportunities that result in nationally recognised qualifications. If you wish to move into mainstream employment (employed by someone other than Barkuma) we will refer you to our employment service. At Barkuma, you may work on some of the following tasks:
- Confidential document destruction
- Food packaging and cosmetics
- General packaging
- Industrial rags
- Mail outs and promotional items
- Quality rework
For More Information
Download the 'Supported Employment' Brochure (PDF, 174kb).