Barkuma is a not-for profit organisation that provides a range of services to assist people with disability. For over 50 years, Barkuma has provided an environment of self-determination that opens up a lifetime of limitless learning and opportunity. Together, we establish the capacity and confidence to transition out of high school and continue to build a lifetime of independence that makes quality employment and accommodation outcomes possible.
Our Aspirational Goal: To be a leading provider of high-quality employment, transition, and in-home supports for current and future Barkuma customers.
Our Purpose: To partner with people on the journey to their best life.
About the Role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a permanent full-time WHS/HR Advisor, which forms part of the Human Resources department. The aim of this role is to implement an effective and robust WHS management system across broad industries (accommodation, process manufacturing, remote work, office). Proactively pursing a safe environment for all employees, customers, participants, contractors and visitors to Barkuma worksites. Point of contact for WHS and HR matters and occasional payroll follow up, particularly as they relate to employment of people with disability.
The role is offered on a full-time basis (1.0 FTE) or part-time flexibility (0.8 FTE) over 4 or 5 days.
- Assist HR Manager develop WHS Management System to ensure accountability, responsibility and compliance.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of WHS legislation and current best practice.
- Conduct investigation of accidents, incidents, near misses and unsafe working conditions, identifying activities or workplace conditions that pose risk to health and safety.
- Be proactive in monitoring and actioning, as necessary, workplace audit compliance, at site level.
- Conduct WHS inductions for all employees and contractors ensuring adequate understanding.
- Coordinate WHS Committee consultation meetings.
- In conjunction with HR team, ensure effective and timely management of employee clearances, licences, training expiration, probation and performance reviews.
- Effective onboarding practices to ensure supported employees are integrated into mainstream worksites.
Successful candidates must bring with them:
- Minimum Certificate IV in Work, Health and Safety (or equivalent)
- Hands on approach to WHS management
- Proven communication skills with all stakeholders, including well developed influencing and report writing
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant WHS legislation, practices and standards
- Incident investigation with particular emphasis in hazard and causation identification
- Ability to relate and work alongside people with intellectual disability
- Ability to work in matrixed organisation, be proactive, independent and resourceful and can-do attitude
DHS Disability Services clearance will be required as part of ongoing employment.
This position will be based from our Elizabeth, with flexibility to work and travel across different Barkuma sites (South Terrace and Holden Hill).
To find out more about Barkuma visit us at:
Please apply using SEEK
Applications including resume and email/cover letter outlining why you would be the suitable candidate for this role.
Download a copy of the Position Description here
With respect, no recruitment agencies please. Candidates must have work rights for Australia. Barkuma is an equal opportunity employer.
Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.