Barkuma Incorporated is a leading not-for-profit South Australian organisation which offers multi-dimensional services for people with a diagnosed developmental disability ranging from intellectual, Down syndrome, learning disabilities and Autism spectrum disorder.
For over 50 years, we have worked alongside people with a disability to assist them to identify their goals and work toward achieving them, learn new skills and explore new talents. Barkuma provides individualised support through quality service delivery and advocacy to promote independent, inclusive and healthy lifestyles, enabling people to be active members of the community.
Imagine waking up and contributing in a positive way to the community with an organisation that truly cares.
Our Aspirational Goal: To be a leading provider of high-quality employment, transition, and in-home supports for current and future Barkuma customers.
Our Purpose: To partner with people on the journey to their best life.
About the Role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for Support Worker, which forms part of the Accommodation and Respite team. The aim of these roles are to provide individualised support to customers with a cognitive or physical disability and their families, supporting them to live as an empowered and equal citizen in their community.
This opportunity is permanent part-time, for day and afternoon rotating roster, including some passive overnight support services.
- Actively assist and support customers, their family members and/or advocates to have knowledge of the National Disability Standards and NDIA.
- Be positive and sensitive to all employees, customers and family members, as change can be challenging.
- Support customers to participate within community activities of interest and agreed within their NDIS Plan.
- Ensure that all customers have opportunities to make decisions and choices regarding their recreational pursuits.
- Implement and support development of NDIS plans for all customers.
Successful candidates must bring with them:
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Proactive approach to duties with strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- High standard of work ethic and confidentiality required with a professional and mature disposition.
- Appropriate infection control certificate.
- Manual handling training.
- Current driver’s licence and a road worthy car certificate and insurance cover.
- Assist with Medication.
- Certificate 3 in Individualised Support (Disability) or equivalent (willingness to obtain this is essential)
- Current First Aid Certificate.
- DHS Disability Services clearance
- Availability to attend all regular shifts across a rotating roster, including morning, afternoon, evening, as well as passive overnight as required.
In keeping with the Emergency Management (In-home and Community Aged Care and Disability Support workers Vaccination) (Covid-19) Direction 2021, it is a requirement that all persons engaged in work, or perform duties in a designated disability positions must provide evidence of their COVID-19 vaccination status. Please ensure you forward evidence of your vaccination status with your application.
This position will be based from our accommodation sites in the Northern Suburbs.
To find out more about Barkuma visit us at:
Please apply using SEEK
Applications including resume and email/cover letter outlining why you would be the suitable candidate for this role, closes on Friday 3 December 2021.
Download a copy of the Position Description here
With respect, no recruitment agencies please. Candidates must have work rights for Australia. Barkuma is an equal opportunity employer.
Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.