Barkuma is a not-for profit organisation that provides a range of services to assist people with disability. For over 50 years, Barkuma has provided an environment of self-determination that opens up a lifetime of limitless learning and opportunity. Together, we establish the capacity and confidence to transition out of high school and continue to build a lifetime of independence that makes quality employment and accommodation outcomes possible.
Our Aspirational Goal: To be a leading provider of high-quality employment, transition, and in-home supports for current and future Barkuma customers.
Our Purpose: To partner with people on the journey to their best life.
About the Role
This role is a permanent full-time role, different from any other Job Coordinator role you have seen.
Working at Barkuma’s DES (Disability Employment Service) means that you will NOT be bound to an office desk. You will be out and about most of your day, providing hands on support to participants in their roles, learning about innumerable industries and those duties, in order to educate and train your participants in the roles they will be undertaking.
In actuality, you may find that our participants are really teaching you, about life. This role is all about changing the lives of people with an intellectual disability and in the process, it will change yours too.
- Prioritise needs of your caseload and deliver supports appropriate to each individual.
- Identify and implement supports to address participant’s barriers to employment.
- Career counselling to identify suitable employment options.
- Skills assessments to identify skill sets and support needs.
- Job search supports and negotiation of employment opportunities.
- Provide on the job Support, Training, and Ongoing Support to Participants in employment.
- Strategies to attract and retain employers – providing solutions for South Australian businesses in relation to their workloads, whilst strengthening diversity and inclusion in workplaces.
Successful candidates must bring with them:
- A chameleon who can integrate your existing knowledge, skills and personality into any industry and organisation.
- Natural ability to engage with individuals and build great rapport, which in turn will assist negotiate long-term employment opportunities for our participants.
- Ability to assess and deliver upon ALL customers’ needs – ensuring opportunities fit both participant and employer need.
- Contribution to team goals.
- Ability to act ethically and conduct yourself appropriately at all times.
- Strong person-centred approach
- Understanding of the National Standards for Disability Services, and how they relate to the service.
- Valid drivers’ licence (essential).
DHS Disability Services and Working with Children’s clearance along with Child Safe Environments will be required as part of ongoing employment.
This position will be based primarily out of our city office. Parking is available. A company tool of the trade vehicle will be made available to you, along with company laptop and mobile phone.
Don’t miss your chance to be part of something special. A Position Description can be found on our website.
As an organisation we take the responsibility to protect vulnerable adults very seriously and all staff recruited to work in those areas are required to sign off on and work within our code of conduct and undergo relevant pre-employment checks including appropriate security clearance/s.
To find out more about Barkuma visit us at:
Please apply using SEEK
Applications including resume and email/cover letter outlining why you would be the suitable candidate for this role.
Download a copy of the Position Description here
With respect, no recruitment agencies please. Candidates must have work rights for Australia. Barkuma is an equal opportunity employer.
Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.