About the Royal Commission
The Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of people with a disability was established on the 4th of April 2019 with the signing of the letters patent by the Governor- General.
The Disability Royal Commission’s terms of reference cover what should be done to:
- Prevent, and better protect, people with a disability from experiencing violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation
- Achieve best practice in reporting and investigation of, and responding to violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation
- Promote a more inclusive society that supports the independence of people with a disability and their right to live free from violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation.
The Disability Royal Commission will cover all forms of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability, in all settings and all contexts.
The Disability Royal Commissions easy read definitions of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation are as follows;
- Violence – if someone is hurting you physically
- Abuse – if someone is treating you badly
- Neglect – if someone is not helping you the way they are supposed to help you
- Exploitation – if someone is taking advantage of you
Barkuma supports the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability.
People with disability, like everyone else in our community, have the right to live free of abuse, neglect or exploitation. Barkuma has a zero tolerance approach to the violence, abuse, neglect or exploitation of people with disability in its services and the community. All Australians should have confidence in the quality and safety of supports that are provided to people with disability.
Make a Submission
The Royal Commission is now accepting submissions. An easy read electronic submission can be made here
If you would like to make a submission to the Disability Royal Commission, please know that we are here to assist you with this. Please contact the Manager of your service and they can assist you with the process.
The Royal Commission information line is also available if anyone needs assistance to make submission or have questions about the Commission and its works.
Telephone: 1800 517 199
If you have any questions or would like more information in regards to the Disability Royal Commission, please contact Barkuma on 08 84147100.
If you are currently experiencing any form of violence or abuse, or are concerned for your safety, call 000 or contact Police.